Having just discovered this morning that the fan on my Mazda Tribute only worked on setting 4 and 1-3 were doing nothing. This post resolves the issue for the Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape 2008 but may very well apply to other models – probably 08-11.
I did the usual googling and found a few posts that said that it was the blower resistor causing the problem. Unfortunately none of them were really that great in their description of resolving the issue.
Obviously you first need to get the blower resistor from your fave car part store – The Tribute / Escape resistor was $21 + tax from Autozone.
Preparation: You’ll need a socket / wrench set. I used 8mm or 5/16th for the glove compartment & 9mm or 11/32 for the fuse.
- Remove the 3 screw bolts at the base of the glove compartment
- Open the glove compartment
- Squeeze the sides of the glove compartment and pull away
- The black plastic box you can now see is the blower unit
- On top and to the right is a connector with wires coming out – this is the connector to the blower resistor
- Remove the connector (depress the little catch and pull upward)
- Remove the 2 bolt screws that hold the resistor in place
- Pull out the old fuse unit & replace with the new unit
- Now just reverse the instructions!
Time to fix : 10-15mins. Hopefully this saves you time fixing your Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape fan / blower!